Sunday, February 23, 2014

Classroom Arrangement, Structure, Activities, and Organization

In the classroom there are many ways for teachers to create effective classroom management.  I think classroom management encompasses everything.  From staying organized, having structure, the arrangement of the classroom and even how organized the classroom is all connect hand in hand with how the classroom is managed. 

 
 

Classroom Arrangement


The way a teacher arranges the classroom is very important.  The classroom needs to maintain a flow where students have enough room to move around and where the teacher has enough room to have all the necessary essentials.  One website that I visited I enjoyed because they had videos from teachers.  I am a very visual learner so this was nice to see.  I could watch the video instead of reading a long blog.  The link below is a link to the website and to the video that could be helpful to many teachers. 

https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/seating-chair-options

I really related to this video because it can be really hard for especially young children to sit.  I have noticed that using rocking chairs, bumpy pads (seats) and even holding slightly weighted animals can help students sit better.  This can be very informative for teachers that have not been exposed to these things before.  This website had many videos on seating organization and arrangement as well as ideas on how to get students to sit quietly.  Also what I liked about this site was that you could chose what grade to search under.  When I first clicked on the site I was watching all videos on older students.  I then saw that I could chose PreK or another grade.  After I selected whatever grade I wanted then corresponding videos pertaining to those grades came up.  This was a really nice feature to the website. 



Classroom Structure


Classroom structure is very important.  One website that I reviewed on this was written by a teacher that explained to other teachers that setting the tone from day one is very important. 

http://teaching.about.com/od/Information-For-Teachers/a/Keys-To-Providing-Structure-In-The-Classroom.htm

Derrick Meador explains how important it is to set boundaries and rules from the first day.  His strategy says the first day is so important and can set the tone for the rest of the school year.  This kind of logic provides a great example of setting up a supportive learning environment for students.  Students need to know what is expected of them and what their boundaries are.  I completely support and agree with this strategy.  I think teachers need to model what should be done and have the students practice it.  If the students do not understand then model it again.  Students need to be guided in an effective direction by their teachers. 

 
 

Classroom Activities

 
This website http://exchange.smarttech.com/#tab=0 is actually one we use at the school that I work at.  It is a wonderful website that even has activities for smart tables and smart boards.  This is definitely a resource that I use to help find new smart board activities.  A benefit to this website is that you can search specific grades.  Also it has a search feature to help you find teacher posted activities regarding the concept that you are looking for.  I love this website and it is free.  Many teachers take the time creating many cool smart board activities or books so it is nice to be able to download them without all the hard work.  Also this website lets you preview all downloads before you actually download it.  This is nice to because you can see exactly what you would be uploading and then you can change your mind if you want to if you do not like it. 
 
 
 
 

Classroom Organization

 
Classroom organization is very important to the whole flow of the classroom.  It is so important to get ideas from other teachers, pinterest, the internet, books, and more on how to make this happen.   So many people have great ideas and they need to be shared.  This website:
had a lot of ideas on how to stay organized.  I loved the idea of putting the kids class list in a cheap frame to use for marking students on things.  This gives them a visual reminder that they need to turn something in still.  Visuals are so important with children.  This website had so many ideas and so many more links than I could even click on. 
 
 
The idea with the cereal boxes were creative and cheap as well.  Keeping all the materials together and clearly marked so that they were easy to get to when needed.  No hassle over trying to find concept materials.  They are all neatly together and organized.  
 
 
 
It is so valuable and helpful to talk to and research other teacher's ideas to create an effective classroom.  Experienced teachers especially usually have wonderful ideas that other teachers can gain.  It is so important to always look for creative ways to run an effective classroom. 
 
 
 


5 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    Good blog. I really enjoyed the information you provided for us. It is all very helpful. The website that caught my attention the most was the Teacher Created Tips. This website as a whole gives us a lot of tips and ideas for our classrooms. The idea that I liked the most was what to do for the lost things. I believe that is a great idea because students will be able to know where to put things if they find them around the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,
    Thanks for sharing such great information. I really liked the link you shared for Teaching Channel, because of the great video's it had. It's nice to see how things actually work in a classroom from a teachers point of view, sometimes pictures are just not enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer,
    I really like your blog which has plenty of information and websites that a experienced or future teacher can use in the classroom to help their students learn and see positive organization that can be used in school or personal setting. I also like the video which is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your choices. I ran across some of these websites when I was searching for my own blogs to blog about. They all have very useful information that I am sure I will use when I become a teacher. Thanks for sharing your findings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer good job on selecting the Teaching Channel, after looking at a few of the videos on the site it's very apparent why you selected it. The videos are not long at all and it helped to see a video sometimes instead of looking at a bunch of pictures. You are also right about learning more when you visually see something instead of just reading a blog. I will definitely register and save this website for future references.

    ReplyDelete